How to dress a plus-size hourglass figure
Embracing your beautiful, well-defined waistline, curvy hips, and full bust is the first step towards unlocking the true potential of your plus-size hourglass figure. In this comprehensive guide, we embark on a fashion journey tailored to accentuate and celebrate your ladylike features.
From styles that capture your unique personality to outfits that effortlessly highlight your curves, our guide empowers you with the knowledge and inspiration needed to curate a wardrobe that fits and flatters. Join us as we delve into the art of dressing a plus-size hourglass figure, where each fashion tip helps paint your canvas to showcase your confidence, elegance, and individuality. And, if you love denim, you are in luck!
Prepare to raise your plus-size hourglass fashion game with each tactic below:
Wear scoop or v-neck tops
Illuminate your plus-size hourglass figure by directing attention to your bust and shoulders through the graceful lines of V-neck and scoop-neck tops. These necklines not only draw the eye upward, accentuating your curves, but they also add a touch of sophistication to your ensemble. Choose from either a classic V-neck, the playful scoop, or the enchanting wrap.
Embrace the timeless charm of wrap shirts and dresses, a versatile choice that skillfully enhances your bust line while gracefully complementing your well-defined waist. The fluidity of wrap styles adds an element of allure and allows you to effortlessly showcase your ladylike features.
Try a peplum top
Dressing your plus-size hourglass figure takes a sophisticated turn with the introduction of the ever-stylish peplum top. Crafted to complement your well-defined waist and generous bust, the peplum silhouette effortlessly enhances your curves while adding a touch of flair. Whether you opt for a striking solid color like confident red or classic black, or venture into the chic world of vertical stripes, the peplum top becomes a versatile canvas for expressing your individual style.
With the peplum top, you embrace a timeless piece and curate an outfit that resonates with the charm and confidence of your plus-size hourglass figure.
Dresses for plus-size hourglass figures
For those blessed with a well-defined waist, curvy hips, and a full bust, finding the perfect dresses to accentuate your hourglass figure is a delightful exploration of celebrating your feminine silhouette. Here’s a guide to help you navigate the world of dresses that not only embrace your curves but enhance your ladylike features:
- Wrap Dresses: A timeless classic, wrap dresses are a go-to choice for plus-size hourglass figures. The adjustable tie at the waist allows you to cinch and highlight your narrowest point, accentuating your curves in all the right places. Opt for bold prints or solid colors based on your style preferences, and let the wrap dress become a versatile wardrobe staple that effortlessly transitions from day to night.
- Fit-and-Flare Dresses: Designed to cinch at the waist and gracefully flare out, fit-and-flare dresses are a flattering choice for hourglass figures. The fitted bodice showcases your ample bust and defined waist, while the flared skirt adds a touch of playfulness. Choose fabrics that drape elegantly and patterns that complement your personal style.
- Bodycon Dresses: Embrace your curves confidently in bodycon dresses that hug your silhouette. The stretchy fabric contours your figure, emphasizing your curves for a sultry and stylish look. Experiment with different sleeve lengths, necklines, and hemlines to find the bodycon dress that suits your preferences and the occasion.
- A-Line Dresses: A-line dresses are a versatile and universally flattering option for plus-size hourglass figures. The gently flared silhouette skims over your hips and thighs, creating a balanced and proportionate look. Consider A-line dresses with defined waists or belts to accentuate your narrowest point.
- Belted Shirt Dresses: Elevate your casual chic game with belted shirt dresses. The tailored structure of a shirt dress, combined with a cinched waist, highlights your curves while maintaining a polished and sophisticated aesthetic. Play with different sleeve lengths and fabric patterns to add variety to your wardrobe.
- Maxi Dresses: Embrace the comfort and elegance of maxi dresses, perfect for both casual and dressy occasions. Look for styles with empire waists or belts that sit at your natural waistline, creating a flattering silhouette. Experiment with various necklines, from V-neck to scoop neck, to find the one that enhances your bust beautifully.
Remember, celebrating your natural curves is the key to dressing a plus-size hourglass figure. Whether you’re drawn to the timeless allure of wrap dresses, the playful flair of fit-and-flare styles, or the laid-back sophistication of shirt dresses, let your wardrobe become a canvas for expressing your individual style and confidence.
Wear fabrics that hug your body
Some women with hourglass figures feel they should wear loose-fitting fabrics and hide their bodies. Hourglass figures are considered classic, much envied, and should be celebrated, not hidden away behind baggy clothing. Why not love your curves and buy clothing in fabrics that hug your body instead? Choose knits or cotton fabrics that conform to your body shape but are not too tight. If you choose more structured fabrics for items like skirt suits or coats, be sure to add a belt or have a tailor take the garment in so that it properly fits your body by hugging your bust, waist and hips.
Show some leg
In the pursuit of dressing your plus-size hourglass figure, don’t overlook the allure of showcasing your legs. While the focus often gravitates towards highlighting your full hips and bust, extending attention to your legs adds another layer of sophistication to your ensemble.
Elevate your look by pairing it with heels – a stylish choice that adds height and imparts an empowering feeling of tallness and slimness. In this nuanced dance of fashion, your legs take center stage, becoming an integral part of the elegant narrative that is your plus-size hourglass figure wardrobe.
Belts aren’t just for keeping your pants from falling down. Women with hourglass figures can use belts to embellish any outfit and bring out their curves. Not only will a belt make you look slimmer by drawing attention to your waist, it will also enhance your bust and hips, giving you a classic silhouette that many women envy and men adore. You can add a belt to a sweater or top and even use one to cinch a dress or coat. Make sure to wear it at your natural waist, right around where your ribcage starts.
Wear vertical stripes
Dispelling the myth surrounding stripes, particularly for plus-size women, reveals an untapped source of style and elegance. While the cautionary tales about horizontal stripes creating a widening effect persist, the fashion-forward solution lies in embracing the slimming allure of vertical stripes. This timeless pattern defies misconceptions and exudes a classy and sophisticated vibe. The elongating effect of vertical stripes effortlessly enhances your silhouette, creating a flattering illusion of height and slenderness. To master this fashion finesse, pair your vertical-striped ensemble with straight-legged trousers – a tailored choice that complements the linear elegance of the pattern.
Go all out with denim!
Denim is one material that will never go out of style. It’s flattering, easy to care for, and can be worn to work, date nights, outings with friends, and more. For that reason, having a few stylish denim pieces in your wardrobe is a good idea. From jeans to jackets and everything in between, check out these denim essentials every curvy woman should have:
Must-have jeans for plus-size women
Jeans are one of the most versatile clothing items anyone can have. For women, they come in many different shapes and sizes, but there are five styles in particular that plus-sized ladies should consider for their wardrobe:
- Trouser jeans: Flattering on every body type, wide-leg styles should fit close to the hips and begin flaring just above the knees.
- Straight-leg jeans: Perfect middle ground, they slim your butt and thighs and are perfect for wearing with heels.
- Slim-fit jeans: This style looks nice on almost everyone. Look for stretchy mid-rise jeans that hold their shape well.
- Boot-cut jeans: These create a visual balance between the thigh and lower leg for a proportionate body shape.
- Gaucho jeans: Introducing the trendy gaucho jeans, a stylish and comfortable addition to your denim collection. With a wide and cropped leg, gaucho jeans offer a relaxed and bohemian flair, perfect for both casual outings and fashion-forward statements. The breezy silhouette adds a touch of laid-back elegance to your ensemble, providing a unique and playful alternative to traditional denim styles.
Denim jeans should fit your hourglass curves and make you look and feel slimmer.
- Find a pair that sits at the waist. Low-rise jeans contribute to muffin tops. Ensure the jeans are snug enough to not slide down when you bend over. Nor should they be so tight to create an overflow above the waistband.
- Some women want to accentuate their butt by wearing skinny jeans. Others may feel more confident in a boot-cut pair. A good rule of thumb is to look for balance between the width of the bottom of your pants and the widest point of your body. If you have wide hips, try jeans that flare out to the same width as your hips.
- Jeans should be stretchy enough to be slimming but not feel as if you were wearing spandex workout pants. Look for jeans made of a heavier fabric that is a little stiff when you first try them on. These will last longer and keep their shape. Pick a pair with 2 percent (%) lycra or spandex. This will allow you enough give to move about but won’t cause the pants to wear out easily.
Darker colors for slimming work and going out; patterned or printed to add some flair to your office wardrobe. You can even wear dark purple or burgundy for some unexpected color. Avoid fading pattern on the thighs: this draws attention to an area you may be trying to cover up.
Pick a (jean) pocket; tailor denim to your curves
In the realm of fashion, the subtle details can make a significant impact, and when it comes to denim, the choice of pockets becomes a strategic move in enhancing your curves. For women blessed with a fuller or curvier butt and thighs, opting for jeans with large pockets serves as a clever styling choice. These generously sized pockets minimize the bottom’s appearance and contribute to a harmonious silhouette. To further elongate your legs, consider jeans with larger pockets that end just below where your curves begin, creating an illusion of length and grace.
For those with flatter bottoms, the art of illusion comes into play. Higher-placed and intricately detailed pockets become your secret weapon, transforming your silhouette by creating the visual illusion of a rounded and lifted butt. These thoughtfully positioned details add curves where needed, contributing to a more shapely and flattering look. As you navigate the vast denim landscape, remember that the pocket design isn’t merely a functional aspect but a tailored choice that allows you to personalize your jeans, enhancing your unique body shape and elevating your style game.
Try multiple sizes
Order a pair that is bigger than the size you think you are, one smaller, and one that is the size you think you are. This will help you find the right fit and learn what looks best on your body. Return the pairs that don’t fit.
Now, let’s finish with some quick denim hits to sharpen your plus-size fashion savvy!
Every woman should have a modern denim jacket to wear over the spring and summer. Whether the jacket is colored, white or classic blue, it’ll look casual and sophisticated when paired with everything from a summery dress to a blouse and trousers. Find a fitted style that hits right at your hips for the most versatility.
A denim skirt
During the warmer months, beat the heat and look stylish by switching out your jeans with a cute denim skirt. Go for a knee-length pencil skirt with a darker wash so you can pair it with anything from nice blouses to casual T-shirts.
A chambray top
Denim button-up shirts, also known as chambray, look cute in any season and there are many options for creating great outfits with them. Wear them with black pants, colored pants or skirts, or layer one under a comfortable sweater during the colder months.
Infusing a burst of color into your ensemble, bright denim pants are a dynamic and expressive choice, capable of instantly elevating your outfit, irrespective of the season. These vivid hues add a playful touch to your look and serve as a statement piece, allowing you to showcase your unique sense of style.
When venturing into the realm of brightly colored denim, consider the comfort and flexibility offered by a denim-spandex blend. This combination not only enhances the overall fit but also ensures that the pants move with you, providing a comfortable and flattering silhouette.
Whether you’re opting for a striking red, a vibrant cobalt blue, or a lively emerald green, the key lies in embracing the boldness of your chosen hue. Bright denim pants offer endless styling possibilities – pair them with neutral tops for a chic contrast or experiment with complementary colors to create a visually captivating look.