Winner Gets Tips You Can Use
Our Wardrobe Makeover Sweepstakes winner came to our corporate office and tried on several outfits. Our Fashion Director, Sue, shared lots of tips & advice.
On our sweepstakes entry form, we asked entrants to tell us why they wanted to win a new wardrobe from Monroe and Main. Here’s what Gail shared,
“[I] can’t afford a new wardrobe like $1500.00 could buy all at once. . .That would be a once in a lifetime for someone who still has clothes from 10-15 years ago. I hate shopping malls and love being able to shop online at home.”
We contacted Gail prior to her visit and talked with about her wardrobe needs. We learned that Gail primarily wore neutral colors and that she was hesitant to wear anything bright or colorful. She wanted flattering styles to compliment her shape.
Gail received lots of tips and ideas on how to incorporate new styles, prints, and colors into her wardrobe. Take a look at the multitude of different outfit combinations Sue had Gail try on. What a fun day playing dress-up!
First, Sue explained all the different pieces she chose for Gail. There was a mix of color and styles, but everything Sue chose was meant to fit and flatter Gail’s body shape and style.
The first outfit Sue chose for Gail was a pretty blue top and black & white mosaic skirt. Sue loved this look. The cobalt colored top highlighted Gail’s blue eyes. Gail could easily wear this outfit to work, but she could also go casual with this skirt by wearing a little white t-shirt and some flats. Adding a black shrug provided some more arm coverage, which Gail desired, and also works great for a cool spring night. Then, adding a layered gunmetal necklace was all Gail needed to complete the outfit. When Sue had Gail try on the white blazer, Gail felt the most comfortable.
- If you’re hesitant to wear bold colors, try a neutral jacket over the colored top. For this look, the little cobalt blue peeking underneath the cream blazer added just enough pop.
- Skirts are extremely versatile. A causal look is a knit top with flats. An evening look would include some statement jewelry, heels and a shrug or jacket depending on the season.
- Find a go-to skirt each season. One that is flowy and sways and glides with graceful elegance. Don’t forget that twirl appeal!
When Gail came out of the dressing room in this look, Sue couldn’t resist applauding. Gail may not have liked wearing color, but this soft, floral look was refreshing and beautiful on her. Sue had Gail try a few accessories. The turquoise necklace and side bag added a bright, stylish touch. Gail’s gold sandals added some extra oomph to the outfit.
- The neckline and floral print draws the eye up toward Gail’s face and accents her best features.
- Throwing on a jean jacket slimmed Gail’s hips and legs and we all thought she looked very sharp.
- Wear darker denim on the bottom to help camouflage hips and thighs.
Next for Gail wore a black & white polka dot peplum top and a pinstripe trouser. Mixing the polka dots and pinstripes is not at all a problem according to Sue. Since they are both black & white, it’s a no-brainer combination. The pinstripe trousers helped elongate Gail’s legs and looked especially flattering on Gail since they weren’t too tight and fell straight down from her hips. Gail said that if she saw the top in our catalog, she would never think she could wear it. We were happy to prove her wrong! She looked sophisticated and classy.
- The neckline works well to draw the eyes up. It also makes the shoulders broader, which then makes the waist and hips look smaller.
- Sue loves a blouson in a blouse. So comfortable and flattering.
- Mixing the patterns adds some interest. It’s still black & white so it totally goes.
- With any black & white outfit, you can add a pop of color with accessories, such as a turquoise necklace or handbag.
- Mixing metals is no longer an issue. The turquoise necklace had silver tones and Gail was wearing gold shoes. You can wear silver, gold, and bronze all at once if you want. It’s totally open!
- A cream blazer took the casual top up a notch. Gail could also rock it with a studded hobo bag.
Every woman needs a little black dress in her wardrobe. And according to Sue, the empire waist is the most flattering silhouette. Gail looked amazing once again. The dress flattered her figure in various ways and Sue explained how Gail could wear it casual with flats or even sneakers or dress it up with a blazer and pumps. When Gail was in the jean jacket, Sue showed her how cuffing the jacket sleeves would create a stylish, casual look. Wearing a shrug with the dress and a layered necklace added some drama and elegance.
- An empire waist makes the midsection look smaller.
- If your outfit is neutral, add spice with accessories such as a red, zebra print handbag.
- Go from day to night easily with this dress. A flowing knit dress can go professional to casual with a jacket and shoe change.
Sue loved all of Gail’s different looks in the animal print tunic, leggings and sandals. Gail was not comfortable going sleeveless, so the jean jacket or shrug were great options for her. The scoop neckline draws attention to Gail’s top half and the shrug helped create a nice shape for Gail.
- The beige shrug worked well with the same color tones of the animal print. Sue suggested adding a long, layered necklace in gunmetal to pump up the volume.
- Leggings and a tunic is a go-anywhere outfit. Such a great, comfortable, casual look.
- Be sure to change out your leggings every two years. They have a tendency to fade.
The embellished jeans and tunic proved to be another flattering look for Gail and provided a great base. Sue had Gail try the jean jacket, the beige shrug, and a black sweater. All options worked well, but we knew Gail couldn’t go wrong thanks to the empire waist of the top and embellished, flattering details.
- A little heel in the shoe would work well with the jeans.
- Keep it tonal and cover your arms with a shrug.
- Add a rockin purse to pick up the metallic pizzazz.
- A black sweater with boots will take Gail right into the Fall season.
The flyaway top with a high-low hem and the pinstripe pants looked great on Gail. The top had some great colors and the purple handbag brought attention to the colorful top. This base look works great for casual, work, or church. Pump up the volume with a blazer for dressier look. Maybe a layered necklace with metallic silver tones would really rock it as well. Throw on a pair of flats, a denim jacket, and jeans and you’d be good to go for a casual day of running errands. The shrug adds feminine elegance and sophistication for an evening look.
- Pinstripe pants help elongate your legs.
- Crochet can be overpowering from a feminine sense, but in a little shrug, it doesn’t dominate the outfit.
- Even a flyaway top has a little shape to it and the high low hem keeps the eye moving away from any problem areas.
We have NO IDEA why Gail doesn’t wear color. She looked so gorgeous in a bright blue that complimented her eyes and complexion. A bright blue top with a long duster sweater made Gail look taller and leaner. The sweater fit her perfectly and when we added some accessories, Gail embraced her new colorful look.
- A pretty blue color easily complements your complexion.
- Bright on the top and dark on the bottom will make you look taller and leaner.
- A lot of people don’t like mixing patterns. Pairing a leopard print scarf with a striped sweater might take us out of our comfort zone, but it’s totally okay with the same color tones. What a unique look! Feel free to experiment.
The most comfortable outfit of the day was the last one Gail tried on. She looked comfortable, casual, and cute. Just hanging out or needing to run to the store, this is Gail’s new go-to outfit. In fact, she wore it the next day when she flew home. The jacket is a cotton spandex fabric as were her leggings for ultimate comfort. The jacket had pleats which descended from an empire waist to artfully conceal at midsection. Raw-edge seams, side pockets, front zip and one-sided sleeve detail gave this casual look a stylish edge. Leggings can be paired with a great pair of sneakers. Doesn’t she look adorable?
- Can’t say enough about the flattering aspects of an empire waist. Nice and easy to conceal the midsection.
- Loungewear can still be stylish. The little details are a must in a jacket such as pleats or artwork.
- Cotton spandex fabric is the ultimate comfort.
Here’s even more to see about Gail’s visit!
- Watch the video
- Photo Gallery
- Vote for your favorite Gail look
- Find out more about Gail’s visit to Monroe and Main’s Corporate Office
We had a wonderful time with Gail and hope that she had an experience she will remember for a lifetime.
Comment below and tell us which of Sue’s tips you are going to try!