Understanding classic clothing style
If you’re seeking a timeless wardrobe, look no further than classic clothing style. These types of outfits never go out of fashion, no matter what trends come and go throughout the decades. They’re built on a foundation of quality fabrics, expert fit and beautiful colors.
Here, we’ll break down the basics of classic clothing so you know exactly what to look for.
Conservative with flair
Classic clothing outfits rarely show everything off. Instead, they fit and flatter without being matronly, skimming the body in comfortable ways while keeping you from feeling exposed.
Similarly, classic accessories tend to be understated. Instead of bright bangles and statement necklaces, women who adopt this style opt for sleek watches and a simple string of pearls.
In essence, classic clothing style is all about balance. You’re never too colorful, too accessorized or too anything. Instead, every piece is versatile, flattering every body and matching every time period.
What’s in your closet
Does a fur coat count as classic? What about a leather motorcycle jacket, or platform wedge heels?
These are all great items, but they aren’t exactly classic.
The following are closet must haves for any woman who wants to embody classic clothing style:
- A striped shirt: Whether you opt for short sleeve, quarter length or full length, a striped shirt is a classically casual option. Wear it with jeans on the weekend, or pair with black slacks and a gray blazer for a comfy work outfit.
- Ballet flats: With the right cushion, ballet flats are the perfect combination of comfy and chic. If you can’t find any supportive pairs, buy some inserts so you can wear these all day. Black is of course a classic option (think movie star Audrey Hepburn), but beige and tan work well, too.
- A white button-down shirt: There’s a reason you can always find a white button down in practically any store. These shirts are truly timeless, retaining the same structure throughout the decades. Chances are, people will still wear white button downs 200 years into the future. Once you’ve got your white button down, feel free to expand with other colors. In fact, delve into spring hues as the weather warms up to bring some brightness to the office!
- Jeans that fit perfectly: There’s no law saying classic can’t also be casual. While bell bottoms, high-waisted and skinny jeans might be trendy on occasion, straight leg and bootcut have withstood the test of time.
- A neutral cardigan: When the air gets a bit chilly, a cardigan will help you keep warm without sacrificing your classic style. Choose one in a neutral color (with an understated pattern, if you wish) to make sure it matches everything.
- A little black dress: Every single woman needs a little black dress. This is arguably the most classic, versatile outfit in the world – perfect for work events, parties and last-minute engagements when you simply don’t know what to wear. To keep yours in style, opt for a slim or A-line cut with thicker straps and a higher neckline.
- A fitted suit: Few things are more professional than classic suits for ladies. While many people thinkof the iconic Chanel suit silhouette, women these days have all manner of options. You can choose a traditional skirt suit set, or opt for wide leg or cigarette pants.
- A pearl necklace and earrings: If you need some go-to jewelry, pearls are your best bet. And you don’t have to splurge on an expensive pair – plenty of necklaces are made with beads covered in a pearlescent gloss that looks just like the real thing.
Adding some unique touches
Yes, a leopard print skirt outfit can embody classic clothing style – as long as you know what type of skirt to look for. A pencil skirt, white button down and blazer will look amazing and never go out of style.
“You can wear one or two trendy items without ruining the classic look.”
In fact, one great aspect of classic clothing is that you can wear one or two things that are trendy without ruining the look. If giant hoop earrings are your thing, pair them with flats and and LBD. Obsessed with glittery pumps? Wear them with a pair of slim, navy slacks and a white button down.
Polishing your classic style
Dressing in a classic fashion gives you an aura of effortless, timeless style. That said, it can easily backfire if you don’t choose the right pieces.
When shopping, you need to prioritize quality and fit above all. Search for comfortable fabrics made to your measurements, or get your clothes altered if necessary.
See? Shopping for a classic clothing wardrobe isn’t so bad! Best of all, once you fill your closet with these staples, you’ll never have to worry about being out of style.